Sunday, February 21, 2010

Food Inc. Part 3

After reading the final section of Food Inc., I really got the most from Joel Salatin. I think he had a great approach to his writing because it showed how passionate he was. After reading the book and seeing him in the movie you can really tell that he cares and wants to make a change. I think his audience is the new generation of kids. He goes into great detail on how we can get away from the factory farms. He seems to also have an approach of “tough love.” He is not afraid to tell readers that what they have been doing is wrong. He wants people to know this so they make a change that will better themselves. Joel helps with this by bringing in examples and ways to make changes to our daily lives. I completely agree with him when he talks about how society needs to rediscover their kitchens and stop buying prepared foods. Our society moves at such a fast pace that we forget slow down in every aspect of life including what we put into our bodies.

The Marion Nestle chapter was very interesting as well because she admitted to the inconsistence with nutritional advice. She says that there are so many different opinions that it is hard to follow the right one. Her approach is simple; she gives examples of the controversial issues within nutrition science. She is very honest in her writings and it makes her more credible. I think that her audience is the new generation as well. She gives all of these examples on what to do and not to do to stay healthy. I think a great example was when she talked about obesity because that is such a problem today.

Food Inc. was very interesting to read. It really made me rethink the choices that I make when it comes to food. It also showed me that there are many things I can do to be healthier. I think that this is a great book because it shows what is really going on. I think that organic farming will only become more popular. Also things are not going to change unless we, as individuals, make the change.

No comments:

Post a Comment